Friday, August 27, 2010

Me Against The World

I spoke with a friend yesterday. I was upset about the rampant idiocy I see in this world. I felt I was very persuasive with my arguments and facts.

"Did you know?," I began, "Nearly 40% of Americans are on an anti-intellectual crusade? When we learn something new in physics, astronomy, meteorology, geology or biology that does not agree with their religious views they cast it aside or try to co-opt it as evidence for clinging to the existence of a supernatural sky father."

My friend smiled at me as I paused for breath. I continued, "They claim that religious practices yield a better society. With the possible exception of Ireland, America has the highest level of belief in God and Jesus of any industrialized nation, but the United States has far higher homicide, poverty, obesity, and homelessness rates than any of its more secular peer nations."

I am sure that my eyes were bulging and that my face was red by this point. "The fact is that extremely secular nations such as Japan and Sweden are much safer, cleaner, healthier, better educated, and more humane." (Reference 1)

Spent, I waited for my friend's response.

"Well, what do you think?"

"Not much," he said.

"What? Aren't you afraid of what will happen if the religious wing nuts gain control of the world?"

"Not really," he said.

"How can you know that?"

"I don't know that. It's just that I don't see any evidence of anyone or anything being in control."

I took a breath. "I guess I was speaking politically."

He laughed. "Politicians have the least control. They are so busy chasing the illusion of power that they cannot even control their personal lives. Seems to me, most of them live in misery."

"But what about Hitler, Stalin, Caesar…people like that?"

"Where are they now?"

"But while they were alive they had great power."

"Only over those who feared them, those who forgot how to think for themselves."

"What about freedom of speech?"

"Freedom of thought is more important. Without that I have nothing to say anyhow."

"Guess you're right."

"Why?"

"But you just said…"

"I know what I said, why did you agree with me?"

"It sounded persuasive."

"Why?"

"I guess it felt right."

"So if it feels right then it is right?"

"I see where you're headed."

"Where exactly is that?"

"Let me see if I can put it together…Accepting something as true just because it agrees with how I feel is not a good reason for believing it. I should ask for more."

"Got it in one."

"Maybe I should ask for even more proof if it an idea agrees with something I truly, truly believe in."

"Absolument, mon cherie."

"So the real threat to me is my hatred of what I call idiocy."

"Yes, in part. There may be a real threat to freedom there, but the first step to fighting it is to apply critical thinking to your own prejudice."

"Like why do I think it's idiotic to believe in a sky father?"

"Or more to the point, why are you angry at those who do?"

"I'm afraid of what they may do to me and the future of the country."

"What is the best way


 


 


 


 


 

No comments: